VC4 Moving an object

Howdy, i wanted to ask if there was a way to move an object, such a Bitmap or a button.

I checked around this Forum but the closest thing to moving something is by either:

Layering multiple objects and giving the impression of movement, a hurdle to setup and not very effective as it will need a lot of Bitmaps and a script…
Or using a Slider, which is handy to make simple animations, but still limited to a single Axis.

The reason why i’m asking is because i am making an UI to represent the current position and using variables is not as intuitive as i want it to.

Just for the record, i ask this mainly for those who will come after me to find a way, i see this as something that might be of concern in the future.

I hope a nice Day/Evening to everyone.

Hi,

I think you already have named the common ways to “simulate” an animation.
Instead of layering multiple objects, I would propose to use a bitmap list - yes, you need then a lot of bitmaps also, but the scripting behind is more or less only changing the list index to the wanted one via a PLC variable.

Best regards!

1 Like

Hi,

apart from layering multiple bitmaps and/or using a slider, a third solutions comes to my mind which is similar to layering: Using bitmap groups and switching the shown bitmap via the index. This is also “giving the impression of movement”, of course, not performing actual movement.

The answer to “is there the possibility for ACTUAL movement” is “no”. VC4 has never been able to do that, neither via variables connected to the editor nor via libraries (visapi).
So you are left with one of the three proposed solutions OR a whole different concept for displaying the desired data/state, e.g. via colors, text, different graphics indicating which station is currently processed, …

Sorry for not being able to provide you with more than that
Best regards

Edit: Damn, @alexander.hefner was quicker in saying the same

2 Likes

But @michael_w, your answer is much more complete :wink: So we won both the race :smiley:

1 Like

I already make use of it, commonly for simpler animations using a handy Datapoint, also, i think it will not work that great, because the bitmap group would need apporoximately 1250 individual bitmaps to accurately project,
So the method is great, just not ideal for this situation

I already thought so, thank you for your confermation.
Moving fowards i think it would be great if in a new version they would add a “interactive” object

Not that I know of. VC4 hasn’t really seen anything new in the last few years, so I guess that’s it. Have a look into mappView, which is web based and thus allows much more flexibility