Axis coupling with cyclic position

Hi Experts,

in my application there is a function-generator implemented which generates a movement/position-profile. The profile will be calculated dynamically, because of some parameters can change immediately. The axis gets the cyclic positions via MC_BR_MoveCyclicPosition (first ACP10 now mappMotion). It’s similar to the set-value of a robot-axis with one difference: The axis moves only forward in one direction (periodic axis). The profile is also within acceleration and velocity limits, and it’s not ultra-fast, so that the axis can follow the profile easily.
This works very good for a long time. And I’m not sure if all this information is relevant for my question:

Now there will be a new feature on the machine with a new axis.
The new (slave) axis should now be coupled to this (master) axis. So far, it’s easy. The movement of the slave-axis is a simple and short additive movement.
The challange:

1. The slave axis needs to be coupled to the master axis, while the master is moving. In this “area” of the profile, the master speed is not very dynamic, but it’s also not constant.
  2. The slave should reach its target position exactly when the master is at a defined position.

How can this be done? How can the slave be started to reach it’s target when the master is on the defined position?

My ideas: I think a compensation gear would help to accelerate the slave. But I’m not sure how to solve it exactly. Do I need the cam automat?

Hi Samuel,
if I understood correctly, you would like to enable the slave in a specific position (and possibly disable the tracking in another condition).

Have you already tried using the FBs MC_GearIn and MC_GearOut?

Best regards!

Hey Samuel,

so you want to have both axis coupled (geared) at a specific Master/Slave position?!

Sounds like a usecase for MC_GearInPos. I used it in an earlier project for a flying saw like application, where the position of the “saw” (==Slave) needed to be accurate to the moving material (==Master). Worked like a charm for me, but obv. your applications a bit different!

Best regards!

Hi @d.perla and @krausertm ,

thanks for your answers.
MC_GearIn has the problem that it first makes a automatic calculated compensation gear while the master is already in speed. So i don’t know when to start the MC_GearIn.
But I think the MC_GearInPos is exactly what I’m searching for. I’ll test it and give feedback.
Thanks!

2 Likes

The MC_GearInPos works well and is the solution.
Thanks @krausertm

1 Like