Survey: Source Control in the Automation Industry

SourceControlSurvey
Hey our B&R community,

Did you enjoy the cybersecurity webinar? I hope so! For those who didn’t have time to join, I will try to provide a short summary and link to the recording. stay tuned here webinar :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I would like to ask you to help my colleague, who is looking for a best solution for you regarding source control.

Survey: Source Control in the Automation Industry

It’s a super quick survey that’ll help us figure out the most popular tools among you all, and guide us on which platform to prioritize in our next-gen release.

Link to survey

Whether you’re using GitHub, GitLab, Azure DevOps, or something else, your feedback is really important to us. It only takes a minute.

Thanks for taking part and helping us shape the future of our platform!

Community is there for you:

• I’m open for any questions or feedback, feel free to contact me.
  • Any suggestion for improvement, are you missing anything, contact me as well

Jaroslav

3 Likes

… the last couple of days to share with us your opinion :slight_smile:

We use SVN for our code base which is shared over multiple AS projects, but not to check-in/check-out our particular plant (full) AS projects.

The problem is that source controls like SVN or Git can’t handle the binary files in the projects, since they do not restore the date/time stamps correctly which would be required for the compiler.
I have already mentioned that issue there.

I would like to have a source control which also considers the binary files that an AS project of a plant can get checked our consistently on another computer and that nothing gets compiled then which would required a transfer.
Since it would not be easy to implement that time-stamp handling into existing Git or SVN systems/clients, it might be required to change the date/time file/compiler handling from the AS, maybe to a checksum based one to get a consistent check-out.

1 Like

As promised here are the results of survey.

Thanks all who found time to share his opinions with us.