Use case C30 + P66 via CAN (CANopen)

Dear colleagues.

I’m working in a use case which the main PLC+HMI would be a PowerPanel C30 with CAN that should manage an ACOPOSinverter P66 with CAN interface (default). In the B&R web page there is an EDS package for a CANopen communication for this device.

My question is, does anybody have an Automation Studio project sample with this architecture with a simple/basic program to control the inverter from the C30? It would be nice to have sample to have a proven starting point for this use case.

Thanks!

Dear Joan,

I have a moderately tested application for this. The following steps are necessary for this:

1: ACOPOSinverter Settings
The following settings must be made manually on the inverter itself.
You can find these settings in the inverter user manual and also in the EDS download package (readme), which you can find on the B&R homepage.

https://download.br-automation.com/BRP44400000000000000734203/ACOPOSinverter_P66_GER-V1.50.pdf?px-hash=8f14efe34d5bdae06c24537d031e0909&px-time=1707226304

Check the CAN address and select a compatible CAN baud rate in the AS project.
- In the AS project, the CAN address is shown as STx number in the “Physical view”
- In the AS project, the CAN baud rate can be set in the configuration of the CAN interface

Ensure the required/expected drive settings
Step 0: If drive has unclear parameter setup, reset the all parameter values to their defaults manually
CONF → FCS → FRY → ALL
- press enter; in order to switch ALL„ to ALL“
- press ESC; in order to return to CONF → FCS → FRY
CONF → FCS → FRY → GFS
- change the value from NO to YES
- press and hold enter until you get visual feedback

Step 1: Adapt the CAN address of the device
        CONF -> FULL -> COM -> CNO -> ADCO
        - set the CANopen address that has been defined in the AS project.
	- press ESC;	in order to return to CONF -> FULL -> COM -> CNO

Step 2: Adapt the CAN baud rate of the device
        CONF -> FULL -> COM -> CNO -> BDCO
        - check/set the CANopen baud rate

Step 3: Restart device by power off&on or ...
        CONF -> FULL -> LAC
        - change the value from STD to ERP
        - press ESC;	in order to return to CONF -> FULL
        CONF -> FULL -> FLT -> RST -> RP
        - change the value from NO to YES
        - press and hold enter until you get visual feedback

Step 4: Rebuild and download your AS project
        --> After the PLC reboot, the CANopen slaves will start.
        --> In the I/O mapping, the ModuleOk data point will report TRUE.

2: AS Project
I have attached a C30 with P66 Automation Studio project.

The AS project is based on the DS402 library.

In the Project i use the B&R
20240318_P66_CanSample_V2.zip (2.4 MB)

CAUTION: Especially, the identifiers used by X20BC0073 and X20BR7300 have to be restricted manually.
DS402.zip (489.7 KB)
1.50_based_on_SEI_ATV320_CANopen_EDS_V2.9_IE40.zip (756.9 KB)

9 Likes

Hello Joan,

There are different libraries and Sample task available that I am attaching here.
All these libraries and sample task are based on Control and Status words.

P66_CANopen_Ctrl.zip (60.4 KB)
InAcpInv.zip (3.8 KB)
ACPInvAT.zip (429.7 KB)

One function block represents a P66 control. Assign control and status words.

I hope this will help you to control P66 with control and status words.

With warm regards,
Bhavin Umrania

4 Likes

Thanks Stefan for the detailed answer!

Hi Bhavin, thanks for the sample tasks!

Hello Stefan,

Is is possible in this case to only use one CAN channel for both BR7300 and CanOpen ACOLOSinverter?

Thank you!

Hello Dragos,

I haven’t tested it but it should be possible. The following evidence speaks for this:

• CAN-IO and CANopen can be activated at the same time. In the example project, this is already set like this on the CAN interface of the X20BR.

• The readme file for the development (included in the EDS package) contains information that indicates possible simultaneous use.

Readme:
||- Info: If both standards have to be used on the same CAN master IF, ensure the CAN identifiers of all CAN-I/O slaves to be CANopen compliant!|
|—|—|
|| Therefore, you can turn on the CAN-I/O setting CANopen compliant CAN identifiers!|
|| CAUTION: Resticting the identifiers by turning on CANopen compliant CAN identifiers is not supported by all CAN-I/O slaves.|
|| CAUTION: Especially, the identifiers used by X20BC0073 and X20BR7300 have to be restricted manually.|

It should also be noted that the node numbers of the inverters can only start at three because only node numbers 1 and 2 can be assigned on the X20BR7300.

With best regards, Stefan

1 Like