Braking resistor implementation for ACOPOSmicro 80VD100PS.C00X-01?

I’m being told that the only way to implement a braking resistor from an ACOPOSmicro inverter is to set up an external relay, but the documentation has me confused. :confounded:

1. A braking resistor is explicitly called out as an accessory to the drive.
  2. The terminal descriptions are “brake supply voltage” and “brake output”.
  3. The brake output is shown connected directly to an external device, but it looks like it is internal to the motor.
  4. There is no type of installation/connection diagram for the braking resistor (80XBR0055.10-11).

Someone set me straight! Please!

Hello Justin,

there is indeed a way to use a braking resistor with ACOPOSmicro.

Please take a look to the following help pages:
https://help.br-automation.com/#/en/6/ncsoftware%2Facp10_drivefunctions%2Fleistungseinheit%2Fzwischenkreis%2Fspannung%2Fbegrenzung%2Ffunktion-2.html

The feature that is relevant here is “External braking resistor on the inverter output”. Please click open the mentioned chapter.

When using 80XBR0055.10-11, you can directly plug it to the inverter output of an ACOPOSmicro servo drive. The braking resistor has to be configured accordingly and wired between the phases U and V.
Yes this will occupy a motor output of the drive which cannot be used any longer for motor control. So usage on a single axis module might not be that reasonable. It is more helpful on double axis modules where one output is used for motor control and the second for the braking resistor.

The “brake supply voltage” and “brake output” terminals are used for a motor holding brake. But not for a braking resistor that dissipates excessive energy from the DC bus.

As an alternative, when using the ACOPOSmicro in combination with the 80 VDC power supply 80PS080X3.10-01, the braking resistor can be wired to the power supply directly. In this case, the 80XBR0025.010-11 has to be used.

I hope this helps.

Best regards
Lukas

4 Likes

Lukas,

Thank you, this is very helpful! I am familiar with the 80PS, but unfortunately that is not an option here. We are also using a single axis module.

Best,
Justin

1 Like

Quick update on this topic:
I used a high-speed output from the PLC to control a PLC interface SSR (Phoenix Contact type). Monitoring the DC bus voltage on the drive, any time the voltage exceeds the desired voltage the SSR is activated. When the SSR contact is closed it passes the excess voltage through the DC2+ terminal on the X1 connector to the braking resistor. Works like a charm!

2 Likes