Random crashes with AS 6.7.0.187

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a recurring issue where Automation Studio randomly crashes, currently with AS 6.7.0.187.

There is no obvious trigger. It can happen while Automation Studio is simply running in the background and I am doing something completely unrelated, for example writing an email. When I switch back, Automation Studio has crashed/closed.

Some observations:

  • It happens even when only one Automation Studio instance is running
  • There is no specific user action that seems to trigger the crash
  • Other colleagues are experiencing the same behaviour on their systems
  • .NET Framework 3.5 is installed
  • The Automation Studio installation path and project directories are excluded from Windows Defender scanning
  • I have also experienced the same behaviour with Automation Studio 4.12
  • There are sufficient system resources available when the crash occurs

My system:

  • Lenovo ThinkPad P16v Gen 3
  • Intel Core Ultra 7 255H
  • 64 GB RAM
  • Windows 11, Build 26100

I have already submitted a report to B&R. The response was essentially whether the issue could be reproduced. Since there is currently no reliable way to reproduce the crash, no further analysis was possible.

Has anyone else experienced similar behaviour?

Thanks,
Simon

A newer Service Pack update has a possible fix for this.

V6.7 AS Upgrade (6.7.1.5_SP) | B&R Industrial Automation

From the revision information:

OCX-22899: Sporadic crash in the text editor.
Crashes may occur sporadically in the text editor. These occur in connection with checking the clipboard for a possible paste.

Hi,

from our experience, the installation notice for this service pack is sometimes overseen.
So just to mention it also here: please note, that this service pack has to be executed directly from Windows Explorer.